Claiming CPD Relevance
Sleep and Shift Work
This topic was recently covered in a podcast by Mark Aitken from Nurse and Midwife Support. In the podcast, Mark interviewed Amy Benn who is a Registered Nurse and the Director of WholeHeart Magazine.
Amy was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease at age 14 and was inspired to become a nurse by the care she received as a teenage patient. She knew she would have to balance her health alongside the demands of shift work. I asked Amy to share her tips on how she achieved a state of well-being while doing shift work.
Some of the strategies that Mark and Amy explore in sleep and shift work as part of the podcast include:
- Stretching exercises and self-massage after a shift
- A lovely warm shower with maybe some lavender oil included
- Use of soft lighting
- Calm music
- Keeping a journal by the bed so if you can’t sleep because you are thinking about something – write it down and tell yourself you’ll address it when you wake up
- Look at different breathing and meditation techniques
- being prepared for the next day so your start for the day is calm
- Good nutrition
- Stay hydrated
- Don’t oversleep on your days off
- Get enough exercise
- Flipping your metabolism to manage the night shift
- Call Nurse and Midwife support at any time of the day or night their phones are manned by Nurse counsellors
The podcast is well worth the listen. Click here>> to access it.